Gila Regional Medical Center
Silver City, New Mexico
The Clinical Informatics Specialist (CIS)/Health Data Analyst is responsible for compiling, analyzing, and validating crucial clinical data. The CIS/Analyst will prepare data for presentation and sharing with key stakeholder groups to be utilized for ongoing improvement efforts. The analyst prepares both clinical and non-clinical data to assist the organization in data-driven decision making to support organizational goals. The Analyst compiles important clinical data through the use of computer-based applications. The CIS/Analyst is a Registered Nurse who is responsible for the assessment, planning, training, implementation, evaluation and optimization of nursing informatics projects. She/he serves as the primary interface between nursing, patient care services, Information Technology (IT) and Information Services (IS) to ensure multi- and inter-disciplinary project coordination. She/he also participates in communications and project planning regarding electronic medical records (EMR) system project implementation and integration with other GRMC initiatives. She/he is knowledgeable about the nursing process and nursing practice, relevant regulatory mandates, and principles of quality/safety improvement. The CIS/Analyst projects are planned and implemented using evidence-based practices for planning, understanding, guiding and delivering responsible patient care.
- Prepares, validates and coordinates mandatory reporting to outside entities (e.g. CMS, HRET/HIIN, TJC, NM DOH).
- Facilitates performance improvement reports to support financially sound and safe, appropriate quality patient care services, working closely with the Director of Quality/Regulatory.
- Assures measurement, analysis, and tracking and reporting of quality indicators, including adverse patient events, and other aspects of performance that asses processes of care, hospital service, and operations, patient outcomes, as well as reduce medical errors.
- Provides applicable data analysis for Quality Improvement and Performance Improvement training and education for organization leaders. Data is used to understand the current trends in the healthcare systems to assist leaders in well-informed decisions.
- Provides data to support Patient and staff safety improvement efforts.
- Provides program management for EMR projects, as directed by Leadership.
- Facilitates a safe practice environment for interdisciplinary team members use of technology and establishes a collaborative relationships with other members of the health care team for effective interdisciplinary care, through the following:
- Assesses unit and department technology needs.
- Coordinates orientation classes at project implementation.
- Provides ongoing end user education.
- Develops system related policies and procedures.
- Works with the appropriate department teams and directors to confirm staff involvement and competency for projects as appropriate.
- Provides support to nursing staff for relevant technologies through regular clinical rounds.
- Provides support for daily system operations for relevant technologies.
- Role models leadership behaviors that demonstrate specific professional values and commitment to advanced practice.
- Ensures that reliable data are being reported in patient care services information systems through the use of nurse auditors and inter-rater reliability testing on a frequency as appropriate for the assigned project.
- Analyzes processes and implements necessary process improvements related to technology inventory and lifespan; obtains and analyzes data related to the quantity of devices needed to meet clinical demands.
- Evaluates practice setting suitability for use of technology with the goal of ultimately achieving one standard of care.
- Evaluates outcomes of technology use including but not limited to feedback from users and impact on improved patient safety.
Education & Training Requirements
- New Mexico or multi-state, Registered Nurse license.
- Minimum of 3 years comprehensive experience in data collection, analysis and reporting.
- Training with Meditech EMR and/or experience preferred.
- Minimum Bachelors Degree. Masters preferred.
Work Experience Requirements
- Experience with data modeling and reporting infrastructure preferred.
- Experience with SQL scripting and SQL based report writing tools preferred.
- Project management experience required.
- Knowledge of and experience in National Quality Improvement Initiatives
- Computer skills required in: Microsoft Office products, Excel spreadsheet development and analysis, data entry, graphing, and presentation software
- Experience using Meditech Clinical applications desired.
- Strong familiarity with regulatory standards (TJC/CMS) preferred
Visit Gila’s website to apply: https://www.grmc.org/Careers.aspx